An elective module of the Healthcare Support Certificate and a mandatory module of Applied Social Studies Certificate. This module links an introductory understanding of psychological perspectives with practical therapeutic applications and the development of psychology as a discipline.
• Explain the main features, characteristics, core principles and concepts of two of the major psychological perspectives
• Identify the main therapies, interventions, practical and ethical boundaries of each psychological perspective within care and other settings
• Explain how each perspective contributes to an understanding of individual and group behaviour
• Gain an understanding of the research methods and ethical issues involved in the study of psychology
• Apply theory and research to work practice with due regards for ethics
• Examine the nature of attitudes and beliefs#
• Apply skills/knowledge to typical work-based problems.
• Examination Theory 40%
• Assignment 60%
Successful completion of this component award enables the learner to transfer to programmes leading to other certificates where this component is an elective requirement