Work Experience: 5N1356
A mandatory module of all major awards at level 5. It provides the learner with the skills and opportunity to work as part of a multi disciplinary team during a period of work placement in their vocational area. The requirement by Iona College is to complete a minimum of 200 hours for childcare and 250 for all other programmes .Learners will be empowered to seek work placement and develop professional documents for successful job seeking.
- Examine work organisations and personal career opportunities in a particular vocational area, to include consideration of work related issues and needs
- Analyse key challenges and opportunities facing a particular vocational area
- Summarise the basic rights and responsibilities of employees and employers in a particular work, organisational or institutional context, to include health, safety and welfare at work, equality legislation, union representation and regulations relating to pay
- Compile a personal and vocational skills audit and career plan for a specific vocational area, to include goals and action points for the period of work experience
- Present relevant work experience material, to include a CV or personal statement, letter of application, evidence of job-finding skills, skills checklist, statement of learning goals, contractual arrangements
- Participate effectively in work experience, to include observation of good timekeeping, working independently while under general direction, meeting deadlines, personal presentation, communication, adherence to health, safety and other relevant regulations
- Demonstrate effective communication skills in the workplace, to include personal, interpersonal and technological communication skills
- Reflect on workplace experiences, to include feedback by supervisor(s) or mentor(s) on personal performance and challenges such as conflict, criticism, meeting new people and learning in relation to quality management
- Explore options for future education, training and employment in light of work experience
- Portfolio / Collection of Work 60%
- Skills Demonstration 40%
Successful completion of this component award enables the learner to transfer to programmes leading to other certificates where this component is a mandatory requirement.